TopMenu

October 23, 2013

Autumn Dress - BurdaStyle 12.2012 #133

                             

Pattern: BurdaStyle 12.2012 #133
Size: 34
Fabric: wool
Alterations: added lining to sleeves, shortened the hem, centered zippers to sleeves (instead of hidden) and hidden zipper to back (instead of centered)
Techniques: hidden zipper, centered zipper, zipper on sleeve, full lining

This is a dress I've been wanting to make ever since I saw it. I think it's perfect for the cold autumn or even winter days. It has long sleeves and a full skirt so I think it will keep me warm enough.

   
The construction was somewhat more difficult than what I've been sewing lately. The pattern doesn't ask for lined sleeves but I really wanted to do that so things got a little more complicated.

                         

I remembered how much I dislike sewing sleeves! But this time I promised myself that never ever ever will I sew a sleeve without first sewing a basting stitch on both lining and fabric, on both bodice and sleeve. Like this:

Marking the seam on the inside and outside of the fabric really makes everything easier in this case. Especially when sewing the lining, which must be attached on the bodice from the right side of fabric.

There are some nice features of this dress that I would like to show you. I find them interesting and cool, maybe because I haven't sewn anything similar until now.

   

First, I give you the Detachable Collar! The lace collar has a binding ribbon at the base and is attached to the dress with snaps. I like the idea that I can wear the dress with or without the collar :) Here's a closer look:



Second, those sleeves have zippers! I'm telling you, it feels GREAT to play with them! :)) And I really made the right choice by adding lining to the sleeves, I don't thing I would've liked them that much if I skipped this step.

                          

And third, maybe not that interesting from the sewing point of view but definitely cool from the wearing point of view, Pockets:

                            

I'm very glad I got to sew this dress. The next issue of Burda seems to have some interesting patterns for long sleeved dresses. I will surely buy this one.

Until next time!














10 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous dress! So many interesting details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your dress, the colour is beautiful and that detachable collar is genious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This turned out very well and I especially like the lace collar!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, glad you like it! Once in a long while one can really find some interesting patterns in BurdaStyle right? :)

      Delete
  3. this dress is just gorgeous!

    maria

    sewnbymaria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a detachable collar - 2 dresses in 1! Your lined sleeves look awesome; so worthwhile - I associate this kind of detail with really expensive RTW :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to admit, the collar and the sleeves were time consuming. But it's really great when that pays off! :)

      Delete